You want to connect with local customers who are in the market for Plumbing or HVAC services? You’ve probably spent some time optimizing your website. That’s great! SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a vital part of your marketing strategy. You may also be running Google Ads, which is also crucial if you want to dominate your market. But if you’re not also taking advantage of Google Local Services Ads, you’re missing out on additional leads
Google Local Services Ads …..what are they and why should you care? Keep reading to learn more.
What Are Google Local Services Ads?
We talk to a lot of Plumbing & HVAC business owners, and many of them don’t know about Google Local Services Ads – so let’s start with the basics.
Google Local Services Ads are ads that appear at the top of Google’s search engine results page when someone searches for a local service such as a plumber or AC repair.
If you know anything at all about digital marketing, you know that having an ad for your business appear right at the top of the Google SERP (Search Engine Results Page) is a huge advantage.
Google Local Services Ads aren’t available to everybody. You need to earn a spot there based on your ratings, and that’s because Google guarantees the services of the companies whose ads are displayed.
Components of Google Local Services Ads
The first thing you should notice about Google Local Services Ads is that they highlight reviews by displaying your average rating and the number of reviews available for prospective customers to read. Considering that nearly 9 out of 10 consumers rely on online reviews to make purchasing decisions, it’s impossible to put a dollar value on having a high review rating displayed at the top of the SERP.
When a prospective customer clicks on a Google Local Services Ad, they will see additional information about your business, including:
- Your business phone number and address
- The services you provide
- Your hours of operation
- The areas you service
- Business highlights such as your BBB rating or awards you have received
Scrolling down allows people to see your Google My Business reviews. While people do check other review sites such as Yelp or Angie’s List, Google My Business reviews are the most trusted and viewed reviews online.
How Do Google Local Services Ads Compare with Organic Search?
One of the questions we hear most frequently about Google ads, in general, has to do with their effectiveness when compared to organic search. It’s a valid question.
It’s undeniable that earning a spot at the top of Google’s organic search results is a huge advantage. Research shows that the first three organic listings get the lion’s share of clicks. Here’s how it breaks down:
- The #1 listing gets 28.5% of clicks
- The #2 listing gets 15% of clicks
- The #3 listing gets 11% of clicks
In total, the top three listings grab 54.5% of all clicks. By the time you get to the 10th spot, the listing gets only a 2.5% click-through rate. Companies on the second page are even lower – and most searchers never get that far.
You may have heard that a lot of people skip right over the ads that appear at the top of Google. While most may click on organic results, there are still roughly 15%-25% or more clicks going to the ads at the top of Google. Below are some differences between Google Ads and Google Local Services Ads:
The first thing to note is that typical Google Ads include a headline and what essentially amounts to a sales pitch, like this:
What differentiates Google Local Services Ads from traditional ads is that they don’t look like ads. What they look like is a recommendation of a top-rated business. That makes them instantly more valuable and more trustworthy than regular ads in the eyes of consumers. Another way of looking at it is that they combine the benefits of advertising – most importantly, a spot at the very top of the SERP – with the benefits of organic search.
What Are the Differences Between Google Local Services Ads and Google Ads?
You probably already know how traditional Google Ads work. To have your ad displayed on the SERP, you must bid on your chosen keywords and beat out the other people (or at least most of them) who are bidding on the same words.
You must earn your way to a Google Local Services Ad, but there’s no bidding process. The other key differences are:
- Google Ads are pay-per-click, and Google Local Services Ads are pay-per-lead. That means you pay only when a prospective customer contacts you via the ad.
- Google Local Services Ads are Google Guaranteed, which means that Google will refund a customer’s money (up to $2,000) if they’re not satisfied.
- Companies “rank” for Local Service Ads based on several factors such as your reviews, how quickly you handle leads in the app, how close the customer is to your business, and more.
A Google Local Services Ad is a stamp of approval from Google and is, therefore, more valuable than a traditional PPC ad. However, because of the limitations of Google Local Services Ads, it is recommended to also run Google Ads simultaneously as they complement each other very well.
How to Get Google Local Services Ads for Your Business
Let’s review the steps to get a Google Local Services Ad.
- Check your eligibility by going to Google’s local service homepage and clicking the Get Started button.
- Create your Google Local Services Ads profile, including your name, company name, the plumbing or HVAC services you provide, and other relevant information. Be aware that you should list only the services for which you have licensure.
- Submit the required paperwork. Since Google is guaranteeing your work, you must submit copies of your licenses and other documentation.
- Complete the background check. Google conducts background checks on you and your employees. Google pays for the background checks, and the process is relatively simple.
- Set your advertising budget. Once you’re confirmed, you’ll need to decide how many leads you’re prepared to pay for each week or month and submit that to Google.
Once you’ve completed the steps, your ad will appear if you rank against other verified service providers in your area.
If you can get approved for Google Local Services Ads, we highly recommend taking advantage of their benefits. They offer a way to get additional leads for your Plumbing or HVAC business.